The Essential Occupational English Test (OET) Preparation Class
This course provides the Essential skills, strategies and knowledge necessary for success in the Occupational English Test (OET).
The Occupational English Test (OET), which is recognised by most medical boards, councils and regulatory agencies in Australia and New Zealand, (see list below) is used to evaluate the English language competency levels of overseas trained health professionals.
The Essential course and the OET is designed for overseas trained and practicing dentists, dieticians, doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, optometrists, pharmacists, physiotherapists, podiatrists, radiographers, speech pathologists, and veterinarians.
- All classes focus on the language skills necessary for the OET – reading, writing, listening and speaking – sub-skills.
- All classes include a practice OET test relating to the sub-skill being taught.
- All OET teachers are professional, dedicated, and academic and teacher/trainer qualified, and all have been working within ESL for 10-20 years.
- Classes are flexible and available through the week or on weekends.
- Classes are small (maximum 10).
- All participants will be assessed in a one-to-one session with their trainer at the end of the program, and provided with feedback on their likelihood of success in the OET.
- Classes are delivered in Essential Training Centre or within other locations, such as the CBD and outer suburbs, depending on demand.
Essential course components
The OET Preparation program is delivered as part time units focusing on skills development, test preparation and OET test practice.
All classes help you to:
- acquire the language necessary for effective participation in a medical environment within Australia, New Zealand and other English speaking countries
- improve your grammar and vocabulary
- learn about colloquial and idiomatic English expression commonly used in a medical environment
- understand the OET requirements
- develop appropriate skills, strategies and techniques to ensure success in the OET
- build your confidence to effectively participate professionally in an English speaking environment and to successfully pass the OET.
Essential skills Units
The individual program units include:
- OET reading
- OET writing
- OET listening
- OET speaking
Essential Skills Units are offered:
- part time 2.5 hours per week (weekdays and/or weekends)
- part time (1 week block, 10 hours)
- on weekdays (4 week blocks, 10 – 40 hours)
- on weekends (4 week blocks, 10 – 40 hours)
- enrol in 1, 2, 3, or 4 units
- enrol in a 1 week block (weekdays or weekend)
- enrol in a 4 week block (weekdays)
- enrol in a 4 week block (weekends)
- enrol in a 4 week block (weekends and weekdays mixed)
Click HERE for OET Fees and Course Schedules
The boards and councils that accept the OET include:
- The Medical Board of Australia
- The Dental Board of Australia
- The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- The Physiotherapy Board of Australia
- The Pharmacy Board of Australia
- The Podiatry Board of Australia
Other Regulatory Authorities that recognize the OET include:
- The Australian Dental Council
- The Council of Occupational Therapists Registration Boards (Aust & NZ) Inc
- The Australian Institute of Radiography
- Speech Pathology Australia
- The Australasian Veterinary Boards Council Inc
- The Dietitians Association of Australia
- The Medical Board of Western Australia
- The Nurses and Midwives Board of Western Australia
- The Dental Council of New Zealand
- The Nursing Council of New Zealand
- The Pharmacy Council of New Zealand
- The Physiotherapy Council of New Zealand
- The Veterinary Council of New Zealand